Thursday 3 November 2016

Extra $6.60 fee to enter Johor kicks in

Extra $6.60 fee to enter Johor kicks in

UNTIL recently, Johnson Tan would drive his Grab car across the Causeway to refuel up to four times a week.

Doing that saved him up to $80 for a full tank.

Now the 27-year-old is having second thoughts. It follows the change in road charges imposed by Malaysia.

From yesterday, Singapore-registered cars entering Malaysia will be charged an extra RM20 (S$6.60).

"I will save less now, so unless I happen to be near the checkpoints, I wouldn't intentionally drive in," said Mr Tan, who lives in Sengkang.

The road charge came into effect at the two land checkpoints from 12.01am yesterday.

This followed an announcement by Malaysian Transport Minister Liow Tiong Lai on Facebook last Friday.

The extra charge was targeted to roll out as early as October last year but was repeatedly delayed.

From Nov 1, a round trip for a Singapore car going into Johor will cost about $19 and this includes existing checkpoint tolls levied by both countries.

The Straits Times spoke to 12 Singaporean drivers in Johor Baru yesterday.

Unlike Mr Tan, 10 of the drivers said they were unfazed about paying more, saying that it still falls within their means.

The drivers were also prepared with sufficient value in their Touch 'n Go cards, which they now have to tap twice after getting their passports stamped, once for the road charge and again for the checkpoint toll.

They previously tapped once at the Malaysia checkpoint.

"RM20 is still a comfortable rate for me," said Iskandar Samat, who is self-employed.
v The 42-year-old was in JB with his mother, Sabariah Tik, 64, yesterday for some shopping.

"With the year-end holidays coming up, I think I will be back a few more times this year with my wife and two children.

"We can split the cost among us," he added.

Operations manager Desmond Chin, 33, who travels to JB several times a week for work, said: "I don't have a choice since I have to attend meetings and visit the company factory in JB. But if I were to come here for leisure, I might think twice."

However, technician Jani Jamari, 57, said making the trip to visit his favourite eateries has become "not worth it".

"I come in about once a month on my day-off to eat because the halal food is cheap and good... But now, I may take a ferry to Batam instead," said Mr Jani, who was busy working out the cost of a round trip to JB on a piece of paper.

Traffic was smooth entering Malaysia yesterday morning.

However, several motorists said the weekend crowd will return and traffic jams are unlikely to ease in the months ahead.

~News courtesy of My Paper~

No comments:

Post a Comment